- Founded, co-founded, or helped others found over 100 companies in a couple dozen industries.
- Founded or co-founded companies in Internet (2), construction (2), retail (2), CPA firm (1), landscaping-septic repair (1).
- Produced useful work in over 50 disciplines. Probably the first person in hostory to come close to that.
- Depth and breath of experience across industries and disciplines results in a huge tool box of concepts that are available for ideation and developing conceptual frameworks for business models.
- Business pioneer in the Soviet Union and Russia (1989 - 1997).
- Pioneer in desktop computing and related business processes (1977 - present).
- Pioneer in two new professions; business valuation and litigation support.
- Defining traits:
- Intellectual curiosity, study- and work-aholic.
- High cognitive energy, high ethical standards, highly communicative.
- Proven ability to pivot and adapt to new circumstances.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, enjoys disruptive tech, business processes and models.
SV Startup Lab
- 2012 - present.
- A lab for researching, developing, and testing new uses of the Internet platform business model.
- Small bootstrapped self-funded operation in Santa Clara, Silicon Valley, CA hiring freelance contractors when needed.
- The goal is to develop innovative online and mobile minimum viable products, gain significant market traction, then sell to a well-funded team.
- Over 10 projects from conceptual design stage to active development and market testing.
- Product development primarily for Blue Ocean business opportunities that disrupt one or more industries.
- Lab functions:
- Problem => Solution ideation.
- Business model and process design.
- User experience research and application design including user interface design, interaction design, visual design, etc.
- Front-end development, currently with the Zurb Foundation framework.
- Back-end or server side application development, currently with the Laravel framework and outsourced coding.
- Market promotion and testing.
- Married to Katya, no kids, no pets.
- Mountain biking.
- Road trips.
- Most sciences, technologies.
- Politics, macro economics.
- Design - Web application, business model, product, interior, architectural, urban.
- Foreign policy, international relations.
- Wilderness backpacking.
- Backpack travel - 28 countries with extensive travel in the Western U.S. and Alaska, Mexico, Central America, and Russia.
- Sailing, cruising, river rafting, canoeing.
- Volunteer trail work.
- SCUBA diving, snow skiing.
- Some Spanish and Russian language ability.
- The scientific study of religious belief systems - cross-disciplinary.
- Ancient Maya archeology and architecture.
Sailing in San Francisco Bay.
Mountain biking the famous Slick Rock Trail, Moab, UT.
Wine tasting at Solis Winery, Gilroy, CA.
Backpacking to Mt. Whitney, Soldier Pass, CA.
A few minutes before proposing marriage to Katya, Athens, Greece.
Showing the Forest Service a radical new idea in disaster communication, Basin Complex Fire, Big Sur, CA.
Cruising in Prince William Sound, AK.
Fishing after word on Kodiak Island, AK.
Business event in the Marble Room, Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia.
Backpack travel on the Penza to Moscow train, Russia.
In Moscow working on enterprise financing, Red Square, Russia.
Reading Mayan glyphs, Yucatan, Mexico.